Monday, May 5, 2008

Interview questions about Second Life

Dear Friends,
I hope your travelings in Second Life are going very well.

May you please think about the following questions while you are exploring the Second Life?

1. Do you play any Video Games? What are they? (Can you briefly describe them, one or two? What do you think about them? (What do they mean to you? Part of your life? Interesting? Time-consuming? Knowledge-gaining? Or are they meaningless just for you to kill the time?)

2. What do you think about the virtual world Second Life? (What is it like to you? Do you like it? Dislike it? Amazing world and amazing people? Dangerous and horrible space/people? A waste of time being there?)

3. Do you think you have brought your own background knowledge (who you are, your own personalities, your knowledge of the world, etc.) into the second life characters? How?

4. Do you think your character in Second Life has also affected/reflected who you are in the real world? How?

5. What do you think are some advantages/benefits of Second Life?

6. What problems/questions do you have when interacting in Second Life?

7. What do you think are the things that we probably can do with Second Life to help enhancing teaching and learning? (Besides what we have done: role-play in there)

Thanks for your time:)

1 comment:

wen wen said...

1.Sorry, I didn’t play any video games in second life. I’ve never been a fan of video games. The best one I can play is Super Mario and I’ve never passed level 3. Besides the menus so complicated that I can’t find any button for video games.

2.I thought the second life would be a replica of the real world and thus be very instrumental, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. I was hoping to experience some major cities on line—a virtual online tour, so to call it. But it’s nothing like a real city and the scenes it provides are too plain. It’s hard to differentiate from one city to another because there’s not so much difference. Of course there’re nice people there. I met someone who patiently taught me how to dress my image but it doesn’t cover the fact that Second Life is not an interesting place for me.

3.I didn’t bring a lot of real me into the second life characters because I had very few interactions with people, although that’s part of my personalities—I seldom talk to strangers.

4.No. See answer 3.

5.Advantages of second life would be that it can give people the sense of controlling. You can choose your appearance, your apparels, your city, and your friends. Whatever you’re not satisfied with, you can immediately change for a new one.

6.Interacting in Second Life demands a very high-powered computer with a good video card. Without those, it would be very slow for images’ clothes to come through and that could be embarrassing.

7.I just don’t see why this would be used as a tool for teaching. As all the other online things, it has some very negative influences on children and they could easily get lost in this virtual world.