Sunday, May 4, 2008

child to man

I've just finished the book "Kings in disguise".This was not so easy for me to read it in English.It's even harder for me to express my thoughts about this novel,but anyway,I want to try.
Most of people had hard lives struggling for living during the great depression,espesially for a child.Freddie was forced to start his journey to look for his father.On the road,he expericed a lot,met some bad guys and good guys.Only in sevearl months,he grew up surprisingly fast from a child to a man,which might not be a good thing for a 12-year old child,but he had to.
At that time,what a child like Freddie needed ,I think,was a home where people care about each other,and they don't have to endure hungry everyday.Such a simple wish become a dream hard to reach.
I feel sorry for him,but I think his life would become better gradually over the time,because the great depression would be over soon,and as a responsible and inselfish "man",he would lead a more meaningful life ahead.

1 comment:

Yang Guo said...

What a great insight! Yes, I do agree with you that despite the huge social background, the most important thing and the most meaningful help for little Freddie at that time was just a warm home, where he could get someone to care for him, to protect him, and a place that he could live and settle down and didn't need to take on the trip heading to unknown places over and over again!